Leadership is about inspiring our people. I wrote about this last week. It's so important, I want to continue our thinking about it.
Inspiring our people requires that we do a lot, consistently and well.
Here, in my opinion, are some of the keys to our inspiration of our colleagues. We:
* are quick to acknowledge and show appreciation for good work
* don't act like we are a big shot because of our title or past success
* share our vision, and make sure it is compelling to our people
* are fair in our treatment of people, our rewards, and we don't play favorites
* communicate well, both sharing information with enthusiasm and trust, and in seeking ideas from our people
* do not over manage. We let our people know what we need them to do, then trust them do it.
* invest in our people, their development and growth
* are flexible in meeting our people's special needs
Let me say that it is important that we not let bad things fester. It we have a problem, address it. Fix it. For example, if we have a bad employee, one who has a bad attitude, a nay sayer, someone who is not a good fit for a company culture we want, we have to step up and terminate the person or we'll lose the respect of our people.
We have to stand for excellence!
My call to action – let's stand for excellence in everything we do, and do all we can to inspire and help our people, all of them, to greatness, to be their best selves, to let them know we are rooting for them!