The tried and true best way to earn the promotion you’re been working toward is to gain the support of everyone, i.e. to earn it in the eyes of your co-workers, your peers and those who report to you, really everyone who works with you, in addition to your company’s most senior executives, who may ultimately make the actual decision.
Helpful hints to earning that promotion:
- Be positive, enthusiastic, and a source of positive energy.
- Make things happen. Don’t wait. Contribute ideas. When you see something that should be done, do it or make the suggestion to the appropriate person.
- Be authentic, yourself, and honest with people.
- Help those with whom you work, help them with their work, and help them look good and do well.
- Help your boss look good as she or he likely did for her boss as she was earning her way up in the company.
- Do not worry about personal credit. People know who is doing great work.
- Be nice to everyone and help them feel appreciated. Everyone can satisfy clients.
- Know that humility is the source of growth. Practice that.
- Be an active listener, with care!
- Be early, always!
- Do outstanding work, consistently.
- Be a presence in the community, a role model for your company and profession.
- Help your company be a great place to work, high energy, supportive, and collaborative.
Become the MVP in the eyes of everyone for all you do.